helena_banner Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Rip at WIC

I attempted to go to the WIC office yesterday in order to get some food vouchers and assistance for the baby. For those who don't know, WIC is supposed to offer help to lower-income families so that they can purchase necessities (cereal, milk, bread, etc.) at no cost. Now, I wouldn't say that we are poor, as I am sure there are much needier people than us...

But we could still use the help. Especially in a few months. It turns out that we make just a few hundred over what the income limit is. What they don't tell you before you make your appointment is that they figure the gross pay instead of what you actually net. I think that is totally unfair! I never see anywhere near my gross pay!! After taxes, insurance, and other deductions my paycheck is easily hundreds less than what I actually put into my bank account. If they figured what Dan and I actually made, then we would be well within the limit.

They did say once I go on maternity leave and I am no longer receiving a paycheck, I can come back and reapply. So, I guess we will see how it goes then. I know we will definitely need help when I'm not bringing home a paycheck. I understand that they have to limit the program to some extent, but the way they figure out the qualifications is such a rip!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



*HUGS* TOTAL! give Laney more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own


linking pregnancy & baby blogs Bellys, Birth & Beyond
[ Prev | Next | List | Join ]