helena_banner Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, October 08, 2004

The Rh Factor

Also at yesterday's appointment, I was informed about an interesting condition called the Rh Factor. The Rh factor is a protein substance present in the red blood cells of most people, capable of inducing intense antigenic reactions. People with negative blood type (such as myself, B-) are negative for the Rh Factor. People with positive blood type (such as Dan, A+) are positive for the Rh Factor. This is where the Rh Factor causes a problem.

During pregnancy, the baby's blood will enter into my blood stream and vice versa. If the baby turns out to have Dan's blood type, my body will see the positive blood as a foreign body and will begin to acquire antibodies to protect against it. This could result in miscarriage or tubal defects in future pregnancies because my antibodies will see this as a virus or infection that it must kill off. Pretty interesting, huh?

Fortunately, there is an injection (I believe called Rhogam) that I will receive around the 20th week that will prevent my body from denying future fetuses. The doctor has assured me that this is common and there is no cause for concern. I just thought I would share this information with you just in case any of you are or have been confronted with it. I have never heard of this condition before and thought you might find it interesting.

I guess this is the only time in life where Dan will ever get a higher grade than me. :)
Dan A+
Jess B-
Get it?!?!? Hardy-har-har!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Grandma V said...

Nothing to worry about Jess. I am A neg, and have the RH factor, it obviously didn't hurt my reproductive skills!!!!LOL Anyway, it is good that they give that during your pregancy now. You you to have to have the shot within 48 hours of birth. No fun after just going through labor and delivery (episiotomy and all). Love you honey.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



*HUGS* TOTAL! give Laney more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own


linking pregnancy & baby blogs Bellys, Birth & Beyond
[ Prev | Next | List | Join ]