helena_banner Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 07, 2005

Contraction Action

I laid in bed last night with my eyes toward the ceiling, unable to sleep. I felt four contractions over the course of just over an hour. These were not Braxton Hicks (as those occur more in the abdominal region), these were the "real" contractions. Now it doesn't mean I'm giving birth today or anything...

It's normal to experience some contractions at this stage in the game. The way I know they were the real thing is because of the way they feel. These contractions are accompanied with back pain and feel more like menstrual cramps, and the tightening occurs in the pelvic region. They weren't unbearable or anything, but I know what they were. I have a doctor's appointment today, so they told me to keep an eye out for them and record them today. They may monitor me once I get to the clinic, so hopefully they will be able to rule out any dilation.

The baby is just so small, it would not be ready to come out over a month early. I was getting nervous last night, but after talking with the nurse this morning I feel much better. I just hope they don't come back to the extent they did last night. Stay put, little bean!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jallápenno said...

keep us posted! I started having loads of b-h contractions (every 2-3 minutes) and was advised to get my butt over to labour and delivery. Turns out I had dilated to 2cm and was 30% effaced at 31.5 weeks, so they've put me on bedrest here until I hit 34 weeks (boo). I'm curious to see how your contraction action turned out!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

You will definitely know when it's the real thing. Make sure to push them into examining you each week to check for dialation, etc. I asked them to do that for me at 36 weeks when I was pregnant with Jacob but they told me they don't start that until 37 weeks. Well, guess what, I didn't make it to my 37 weeks appt. He was born one day before. I'm going to have them check early on with this one.

I got a little bit of a scare last weekend. I went in for a follow-up ultrasound on Friday because Hannah was blocking a clear view of her heart with her arms and the technician thought I was already having pre-term labor. I was put on bedrest for the weekend but it was a false alarm and everything was fine on Monday. I was only 21 weeks at that time -- very scary. But the doc explained how something like this could happen and told me to go back to what I always do. Nothing to worry about right now but I will be getting a Level 2 ultrasound next week. Hannah was already a pound last week. Growing and kicking like crazy. It's such an experience that I'll miss after she's born.

Take care and keep us posted. I'm putting in a guess of March 15 as your delivery date.

Love Ya

Aunt Joyce

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



*HUGS* TOTAL! give Laney more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own


linking pregnancy & baby blogs Bellys, Birth & Beyond
[ Prev | Next | List | Join ]